School Board Candidates
Thank you for considering school board service. Your interest in serving your community and public education is appreciated.
Serving on a local school board has often been called "the toughest volunteer job in America." While it can be challenging at times, most school directors will tell you there are great rewards in helping students and giving back to your community.
In this year of school board elections, WSSDA is offering materials to help school districts reach out to potential candidates and workshops to help candidates better understand the school director role they are aspiring to.
2017 Key Dates for School Board Candidates
- Filing week: May 15-19
- Primary election (in case of a runoff): July 14-August 1
- General election: October 20-November 7
- Workshops are offered throughout the month of June to help school board candidates understand the important role each board member plays in school governance. Please register to attend the FREE workshop date and location of your choice. Information will be available in late April.
- A flyer that includes information on how to register to be a school board candidate and some basics of what a school director does will be emailed to every school district in Washington in late April, along with the schedule of candidate workshops. This information will also be emailed directly to candidates following the close of the filing period.
- For more information on the responsibilities of a school board member, check out the webpage for new board directors. We particularly recommend the manual, Serving on Your Local School Board.