2013 Award Recipients
The South Kitsap and Sunnyside School Boards were named the Boards of the Year in November, 2013. The two boards were chosen from a field of 20 boards from across Washington state that submitted applications.
“There is no higher formal honor in our state for excellence as a school board,” said Debbie Long, outgoing president of the WSSDA Board of Directors. “They come from very different areas of the state, showing how excellence knows no geographic or economic boundaries.”
South Kitsap was also one of three boards who received awards for five straight years of recognition as a board of distinction. This also included the Issaquah and Vancouver School Boards.
Also honored at this year's conference were eleven boards that were named Boards of Distinction.
The annual Boards of Distinction and Boards of the Year program honors school boards that demonstrate effective use of the Washington School Board Standards. The standards, developed and adopted by WSSDA in 2009, promote
research-based governance practices that lead to high levels of student and district achievement. Applications are evaluated by an independent review panel.
Boards of the Year
- South Kitsap #402: Keith Garton, Christopher Lemke, Patty Henderson, Kathryn Simpson, Greg Wall, Dr. Michelle Reid, Superintendent. View Essay.
- Sunnyside #201: Rocky Simmons, Michelle Perry, Dylan Gardner, Lorenzo Garza, Jr., Sandra Linde, Dr. Rick Cole, Superintendent. View Essay.
Special Merit Awards
- Issaquah #411: Brian Deagle, Marnie Maraldo, Alison Meryweather, Anne Moore, Suzanne Weaver, Ron Thiele, Superintendent.
- South Kitsap #402: Keith Garton, Christopher Lemke, Patty Henderson, Kathryn Simpson, Greg Wall, Dr. Michelle Reid, Superintendent.
- Vancouver #37: Dale Rice, Edri Geiger, Kathy Gillespie, Mari Greves, Mark Stoker, Dr. Steven Webb, Superintendent.
Boards of Distinction
- Anacortes #103: Jeannette Papadakis, Dr. Lynne Lang, Bobbilyn Hogge, Dr. Robert Maxson, Karl Yost, Mark Wenzel, Superintendent.
- Auburn #408: Janice Nelson, Ray Vefik, Anne Baunach, Lisa Connors, Carol Seng, Dr. Kip Herren, Superintendent.
- Ferndale #502: Lee Anne Riddle, Dr. Kevin Erickson, Hugh Foulke, Stuart McKay, Andrew McLaurin, Linda Quinn, Superintendent.
- Franklin Pierce #402: Cole Roberts, John Harstad, Mark Baumgarten, Doug Carlson, Mary Sherman, Frank Hewins, Superintendent.
- Kent #415: Debbie Straus, Karen DeBruler, Agda Burchard, Tim Clark, Russ Hanscom, Dr. Edward Vargas, Superintendent.
- Lake Stevens #4: John Boerger, Kevin Plemel, David Iseminger, Paul Lund, Mari Taylor, Dr. Amy Cook, Superintendent.
- Monroe #103: Tom MacIntyre, Jim Scott, Greg Accetturo, Nancy Truitt Pierce, Katy Woods, Dr. Ken Hoover, Superintendent.
- Port Angeles #121: Lonnie Linn, Steve Baxter, Dr. Patti Happe, Cindy Kelly, Sarah Methner.
- Pullman #267: Susan Weed, Dr. Jim Evermann, Dr. Karl Johanson, Dean Kinzer, Dr. Allison Munch-Rotolo, Dr. Paul Sturm, Superintendent.
- Sunnyside #201: Rocky Simmons, Michelle Perry, Dylan Gardner, Lorenzo Garza, Jr., Sandra Linde, Dr. Rick Cole, Superintendent.
- Tumwater #33: Jay Wood, Bob Barclift, Rita Luce, Kim Reykdal, Janine Ward, Mike Kirby, Superintendent.
- University Place #83: Christine Kilduff, Dr. Rick Maloney, Mary Lu Dickinson, Michael Ehart, Annie Fitzsimmons, Patti Banks, Superintendent.