Running for School Board
Thank you for considering school board service. Your interest in serving your community and public education is appreciated.
Serving on a local school board has often been called "the toughest volunteer job in America." While it can be challenging at times, most school directors will tell you there are great rewards in helping students and giving back to your community.
In this year of school board elections, WSSDA is offering materials to help school districts reach out to potential candidates and workshops to help candidates better understand the school director role they are aspiring to.
2019 Key Dates for School Board Candidates
- April 29: First day filing officer may receive candidate declarations by mail
- May 13-17: Official Candidate Filing Week
- May 20: Candidate withdrawal deadline
- May 21: Last day for Secretary of State to certify candidates to County Auditors
- May 24: Candidate statements and photographs for state Voters' Pamphlet due
- June 11-13: Candidate workshops (schedule listed below)
- July 17-August 6: Primary election
- October 16-November 5: General election
Candidate workshops are held Tuesday through Thursday, June 11 to 13, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in various locations around the state. Please let us know you're coming by submitting an RSVP:
TUESDAY, JUNE 11
33 S 2nd Avenue
Yakima, WA 98902
Mount Vernon School District
District Administration Building
124 E Lawrence Street
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 12
6531 NE 181st Street
Kenmore, WA 98028
North Central ESD
430 Olds Station Road
Wenatchee, WA 98801
Northeast WA ESD 101
4202 S Regal Street
Spokane, WA 99223
Olympia School District
1113 Legion Way SE
Olympia WA 98501
Port Angeles School District
905 W 9th Street
Port Angeles, WA 98362
THURSDAY, JUNE 13
Cascade Rooms 1-2
3924 W Court Street
Pasco, WA 99301
Longview School District
2715 Lilac Street
Longview, WA 98632
- Candidate workshops (listed above) are offered during the month of June to help school board candidates understand the important role each board member plays in school governance. Please register to attend the FREE workshop date and location of your choice.
- An informational flyer that includes how to register to be a school board candidate and a schedule of candidate workshops has been emailed to every school district in Washington. This information will also be emailed directly to candidates following the close of the filing period.
- For more information on the responsibilities of a school board member, check out the webpage for new board directors. We particularly recommend the manual, Serving on Your Local School Board.
- If you want to bring a newly
elected director to the Annual Conference, but they are not yet installed, the board may
pass a resolution. Here is a sample.