School Board Legislative Representatives
Here you will find information about the role of "leg reps," useful resources, and updated information on legislative activities.
About Legislative Representatives
Annually, each school board selects one of its members to serve as a legislative representative, or “leg rep." Leg reps keep close tabs on legislative issues, including through contact with legislators, while keeping the rest of the board informed about legislative developments.
Responsibilities of a local board’s legislative representative:
- Review WSSDA legislative proposals with their board prior to the annual Legislative Assembly and, when appropriate, submit proposals to the assembly. Represent their board at the Legislative Assembly and Legislative Conference.
- Provide legislative updates periodically at board meetings. Share information from WSSDA publications.
- Contact legislators at appropriate times when issues require it and monitor developments at both the state and federal levels.
WSSDA Legislative Resources
- Week 9, Sine Die Legislative Update Webinar, 3/9/18 (Video and PowerPoint) - Stay tuned to WSSDA's Legislative Updates for the 2018 Final Session Summary later in March
- Week 8, Legislative Update Webinar, 3/2/18 (Video and PowerPoint)
- Week 7, Legislative Update Webinar, 2/23/18 (Video and PowerPoint)
- Week 6, Legislative Update Webinar, 2/16/18 (Video and PowerPoint)
- Week 5, Legislative Update Webinar, 2/9/18 (Video and PowerPoint)
- Week 4, Legislative Update Webinar, 2/2/17 (Video and Powerpoint)
- Week 3, Legislative Update Webinar, 1/25/18 (Video and PowerPoint)
- Week 2, Legislative Update Webinar, 1/19/18 (Video and PowerPoint)
- Week 1, Legislative Update Webinar, 1/12/18 (Video and PowerPoint)
WSSDA Legislative Committee Members
Each WSSDA Director Area elects two (DA 2 elects four) individuals to serve annually on WSSDA’s Legislative Committee. These individuals are great resources for Legislative Representatives in navigating the legislative process and WSSDA positions.
WSSDA’s 2017 Legislative Session Updates
Includes Legislative Session Summary documents and weekly updates/bill watch lists during the legislative session. Follow us on Twitter during the session for more frequent updates! #wssdaleg
- Legislative Bill tracking: Log-in to the Legislature’s web site to follow the bills you are most interested in. To dig in deeper, help us out by completing a Bill Analysis and sharing your thoughts on the opportunities and challenges bills may present school districts.
- Washington State Fiscal/Budget Information: Provides easy-to-access interactive state budget documents along with agency summary documents and spreadsheets.
- Priorities and Positions: View WSSDA’s legislative positions and priorities.
- Watch on TVW: TVW is a great resource where you can watch hearings live, or go to the archives to view past hearings of interest, just select the date and committee.
Education Association Partners