The Washington State School Directors’ Association (WSSDA) is seeking a graphic designer to join a team of 16 staff who provide the state’s 1,477 school board members with research-based leadership development training, policy and legal resources, and legislative advocacy support.
Salary range: $55,000 to $70,000 depending upon qualifications
Closing date: screening of applications will begin on April 26, 2022
General Description and Responsibilities
The graphic designer, along with the communications coordinator, reports to the communications officer and has the primary responsibility of designing, formatting, editing, and publishing a range of print and digital materials that contribute to a cohesive brand and positive reputation for WSSDA.
The three-person communications team acts as hub for the agency by developing and safeguarding brand standards and providing products and services to content-area experts in each department to help them meet their objectives in support of WSSDA’s mission, vision, and goals.
The successful execution of your work will contribute to supporting Washington’s 1,477 locally elected school board members in striving to provide visionary leadership, effective governance, and strategic advocacy for their local school districts and K-12 public education as a whole.
Your work may include:
- Engaging in human-centered design projects, including but not limited to: identifying user needs, interpreting client challenges, developing concepts, and producing publications, marketing or agency reports, brochures, conference materials, direct mail or presentations that are clear, effective and consistent in appearance with other WSSDA publications, materials etc.
- Conceiving, designing, editing, and producing materials taking into account the intended use, audience, budget, and each project’s goals and objectives.
- Collaborating effectively with internal departments and external vendors/partners on project timelines and the progression of the projects to meet deadlines.
- Designing and developing a quarterly newsmagazine including layout, information graphics, and as capacity allows, may contribute to writing and editing articles.
- Supporting the development of timely content for WSSDA’s website and social media services such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Providing support in posting documents, images or other content to the website.
- Coordinating with the communications officer and communications coordinator to create web graphics and page layout.
- Occasionally helping to photograph or film events as needed or able.
- Managing an image library including stock and digital photos.
- Occasionally acting as backup support for daily email news service distributed to 3,000 people.
- Creating branding, messaging, print and digital materials, event signage and presentation materials for large events, especially WSSDA’s annual conference.
Essential Skills and Attributes
- Provide excellent internal and external customer service.
- Communicate effectively through design, as well as verbally and in writing. Must be able to summarize complex issues quickly and concisely.
- Produce accurate, professional publications and documents incorporating proper grammar and design standards.
- Understand and use methods, techniques and software related to graphic design and basic HTML.
- Be comfortable using cloud-based tools for project management or storage services like Smartsheet or Box.
- Produce and deliver materials in a timely and efficient manner.
- Work well under pressure to meet multiple and sometimes competing deadlines.
- Demonstrate cooperative behavior with colleagues and internal clients.
- Communicate effectively with staff, vendors and sometimes school board members and other education organizations and state agencies.
- Maintain files and records in a well-organized manner.
- Prepare files for print production and online needs.
- Flexible in working occasional evenings and weekends and travelling intrastate as necessary, primarily for major annual events.
Two or four-year degree in graphic design or related field
Two years of experience as a graphic designer
Please submit a complete application consisting of the following:
- Cover Letter
- Portfolio of works samples
- Complete WSSDA Employment Application PDF | Word
Materials may be emailed to email@example.com.
For questions about recruitment, please contact Josh Collette at (360) 890-5781